Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Me Against The Music: Tracks 101-130

For reasons of her own, Elle has decided to listen to every single song in her music library and record the experience. These are her notes. 

Notes: After a brief break due to real life/my horrifically bad time management skills, we are back on track. Or would be if this had a track. Or an end date. I'm really starting to miss choosing what music I listen to. 

Tracks 101-130

101. I'm Not Okay [I Promise] - My Chemical Romance 
This is a great angry song that gets your heart racing and makes you feel righteous fury with the world. Then you dance.



103. F Me Pumps - Amy Winehouse
This is the first Amy Winehouse song I heard, and it blew my mind. It's funny and smart. It's a little bit mean and a lot tongue-in-cheek, and all with those epic vocal cords behind it. 

104. Born In The U.S.A. - Bruce Springsteen
I love when people sing this song and get all AMERICA YEAH, and don't realize it's a searing indictment of the Vietnam War. Context matters, people.

105. East Coast Anthem - Good Charlotte
This might be my favorite song by Good Charlotte. 

106. Soul Meets Body - Death Cab For Cutie
On one hand, Death Cab For Cutie makes me feel very fashionably melancholy.On the other hand some of the songs can make me feel profound, real emotions. So which is it -- a sort of trendy attitude or a genuine, deep-seated understanding of the human condition? Why not both

107. Lover, You Should Have Come Over - Jeff Buckley
Apparently Penn Badgely played Jeff Buckley in a movie. I have no idea how I feel about this. 

109. March To Fuzz - Mudhoney
I love Mudhoney and Mark Arm and grunge. In fact, I love most of Mark Arm's work. It seems like I might have a lot of it, if we can trust the Wikipedia article. Green River, Mudhoney, Wylde Rattz, his solo stuff… Mark Arm is incredible. THREE CHEERS FOR MARK ARM.

110. Hand Of Sorrow - Within Tempation [DELETED]
I have to say, when this came on I thought it was an Evanescence song. Then I had a minor crisis wherein I wondered when and under what circumstances I could ever have purchased an Evanescence song. Luckily I looked at my iPod before I sank completely into existential despair. 

111. The Line Begins To Blur - Nine Inch Nails
I had  chance to see Nine Inch Nails in concert, but ended up being unable to go. YES, I am still bitter about this thank you for asking.

113. The Devil's Right Hand - Steve Earle (Brokeback Mountain)
This whole soundtrack is phenomenal, but it also makes me feel feelings. This song makes me want to rock out and drink beer. Which is admittedly a pretty standard feeling for me. At least it's not the MY FACE IS LEAKING WHAT'S HAPPENING brand of feelings.

114. Threshold - Beck (Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World)
My absolute favorite part of the Grammys where Beck won an award isn't the strange series of events onstage involving Kanye West. It happened after: as a reporter backstage cheerfully tried to explain away Kanye's behavior, in the background you could see Beck wandering around, award clutched in his hand. It legitimately looked like in all the chaos the organizers had lost track of an award-winning artist, and Beck was simply going to stroll through the depths of the venue until he got bored and went off to make another sensational album.

115. Halo/Walking On Sunshine - Glee Cast [DELETED]
I never really liked this mash-up (although I LOVE this episode).

117. My Girl - The Temptations
This song has the power to almost instantly transform your mood. Use it wisely. Actually, scratch that. Use it constantly. Play it all the time. Its power is endless and the world could use more happiness. 

118. Disenchanted Lullaby - Foo Fighters
DAVE GROHL PERFORMED WITH A BROKEN LEG WHILE SITTING IN A THRONE OF HIS OWN DESIGN.

120. Call Me The Breeze (Live) - Lynyrd Skynyrd
I love intellectually dense, complex music but sometimes I need to rock out to Lynyrd Skynyrd with the windows down and the wind in my hair.

121. Take This Longing - Leonard Cohen
And then we immediately transition into an intellectually complex song. Well played, iPod. Literally.

122. Glad To See You Go - The Ramones
One of my all-time favorite bands, and original punk. Messy, loud, disorganized, raucous, fun, and unapologetic -- the Ramones were all this and more. 

123. Istanbul (Not Constantinople) - They Might Be Giants
Now this is a great cover. Reports that indicate I first heard this version when it was played during an episode of Tiny Tune Adventures are entirely accurate. That was a damn fine show. Oh crap, please don't reboot it.

125. The Passion Of Lovers - Bauhaus
I mispronounced the name of this band for like a year and nobody corrected me.

126. California Love - Tupac Feat. Dr. Dre
This song lets me pretend I'm super cool for the length of time it is playing on my iPod. 

128. I Will Buy You A New Life - Everclear
Yes I remember every single word to every single Everclear song recorded, let's not make a big deal out of it or anything.

129. White Chalk - PJ Harvey
PJ Harvey makes me feel like a tough, empowered lady. With awesome taste in music.

130. My Cherie Amour - Stevie Wonder

Stevie Wonder's voice can make me cry when used correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment