Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Me Against The Music: Tracks 83-100

For reasons of her own, Elle has decided to listen to every single song in her music library and record the experience. These are her notes. 

Tracks 83-100

Note: Holy shit, how did we hit 100 songs already? Actually, that's not true. Since I drive a LOT, and listen to my iPod in the car during all that driving time, my real-life listening count is nearing 200.

I could either increase the number of songs I include in each post (I'm trying to average between 10-20) or I could continue on this vein. You can offer your opinions on the matter. Or not. Do whatever the hell you like; I'm not your boss.




84. Sliver (Demo) - Nirvana
This is probably one of my favorite Nirvana songs. It's so weirdly upbeat and fun and twisted. As opposed to the Nirvana songs that make me sad and angry and contemplate the infinite void of life. I have a lot of complicated Nirvana feelings. 

85. Wet Hot American Summer - Cobra Starship
WHO ELSE IS SUPER EXCITED FOR THE WET HOT AMERICAN SUMMER SERIES ON NETFLIX? The correct answer is everyone. EVERYONE. This isn't really about the song by Cobra Starship, but I'm not even sorry. We're getting more Wet Hot American Summer. THINK ABOUT IT.

86. I'm Going Slightly Mad - Queen
I like to imagine that Freddie Mercury and I would have gotten along very well. 

87. The Happening - The Pixies
Luckily this song has nothing to do with the killer plant movie directed by M. Night Shyamalan. Although the more I think about it, the more I want to hear The Pixies' musical rendition of that train wreck of a movie. Marky Mark could guest-sing vocals. Admit it, you're intrigued.

89. Longview - Green Day
Back in high school, Green Day was the soundtrack to a lot of bored, lazy days. Me and my friends would drive around town aimlessly. We had nowhere to go, nothing to do, and were deeply entrenched in our identities as outsiders. Part of that persona involved blasting Green Day in the car during our endless driving sessions. It felt like rebellion against school, our peers, and our parents. And even though we knew deep down that it wasn't, pretending was a hell of a lot of fun.

90. Under African Skies - Paul Simon [DELETED]
I like a lot of Paul Simon. I do not like this song. 

92. The Modern Age - The Strokes
Oh, man, do you remember the Strokes? They were going to be the biggest thing in the history of music (or at least since the Beatles asked to hold our collective hands). Understandably, no band could live up to that sort of hype. The tragedy of it is that the Strokes are actually a good band; fun, funky, with an obvious sense of humor about their over-hyped appearance. Where are they now? Where do bands go when I forget about them?

93. Time For You To Leave, William Blake… - Neil Young (Dead Man)
This is a weird, weird movie, and a weird, weird soundtrack. I love them both. Plus the movie has Iggy Pop. You can't argue with that. 

94. Fatally Yours - Alkaline Trio
Such a fun song to drive to. Turn up the volume and sing along, and you're cheered up instantly. If my driving gets marginally more aggressive when I listen to Alkaline Trio -- well, that's a matter of opinion.

95. Going Through The Motions - Aimee Mann
Aimee Mann is a glorious and wonderful performer and musician, and I adore her and her lyrics and everything about her, and would absolutely buy her a beer if given the chance just so we could chat. She is that fantastic, and I would jump at the chance to see her in concert.

96. Timberwolves At New Jersey - Taking Back Sunday
This song was a problem when it came up on my playlist. It is hands down one of my favorite songs ever, and I love blasting it in the car. Singing along is fun and cathartic (and may or may not involve hand gestures). 

So what's the issue? I wanted to play it again. And again. And basically listen to it nonstop while envisioning TBS-themed tattoos. I wanted to break from this stupid project and go through all my go-to sing-along songs. 

But I resisted; after all, the rules are very clear. Every song can be played through once, and no more. Once I have listened to the song, it must be removed from my iPod. This was a challenge -- I love this song so freaking much.

97. Symphony No 6 in F Major, Pastoral, 4th Movement, Gewitter, Sturm [Allegro] - Beethoven
Beethoven's music is akin to a religious experience.

98. How Deep Is Your Love? - The Bird And The Bee [DELETED]
Not deep enough to keep this song. Shut up, I made me laugh. This actually came from a playlist Misha Collins made for charity. And while my love for Misha Collins is intense and often irrational, not a fan of this song.

99. Chop Me Up [Feat. Timbaland & Three-6 Mafia] - Justin Timberlake
So back in the day, I was a huge Backstreet Boys fan. OK, not HUGE. I mean on the spectrum of hysterical teenage girl fandom I was on the rational side. I never saw them in concert or wore merchandise. I did, however, own all their albums and have a favorite Backstreet Boy (Brian Litrell, since I know someone was going to ask). 

And, as a loyal fan of the Backstreet Boys, I disliked 'N Sync. My friend (who was a loyal lover of Justin Timberlake) and I would argue for hours over the relative merits of our favorite boy bands.

I have no idea how I justified this love for BSB with my rampant devotion to grunge and punk, but I'd be dearly interested in hearing my logic. 

Anyway, songs like this prove that I was completely wrong on which boy band members would have successful careers later in life. I am now a fan of Justin TImberlake's music (but more importantly, I adore his SNL appearances. Give that boy a TV show). 

100. Something In The Air [American Psycho Remix] - David Bowie [DELETED]
For some reason this remix really turns me off. Although I do love Bowie (and find American Psycho a hilarious and terrifying cinematic experience). I hope I have the original version of this somewhere in my collection.


No comments:

Post a Comment