Friday, June 19, 2015

Me Against The Music: Tracks 11-23

For reasons of her own, Elle has decided to listen to every single song in her music library and record the experience. These are her notes. 

Tracks 11-23

11. The Click - Good Charlotte
When I was a wee lass (or at least a teenager with Manic Panic-colored hair and bondge pants direct from Hot Topic), I met the brothers Joel and Benji Madden at a local all-ages show. And they were lovely. Just incredibly nice and kind to all the emotionally stressed-out teens demanding their attention, and remarkably patient with the histrionics that ensued. They were polite and friendly and seemed genuinely flattered that people were so enthralled by their music. It was remarkable that these people we had seen on TV were so human.



12. Houses In Motion - Talking Heads [DELETED]
Generally I like the Talking Heads. For some reason this song bugs me.

14. Learning How To Smile - Everclear
Wow, it took 14 songs to hit Everclear. Let's be clear about one thing: from the age of about 12 I was desperately, insanely, passionately in love with this band. I was obsessed in the truest sense of the word.  
So much of my love affair with this band doesn't translate to this day and age. I had a massive collection of mix tapes, patiently recorded from the radio. I hoarded fanzines. I printed up web pages (I seem to have had a murky comprehension of how the internet worked, and apparently thought those Geocities pages would vanish into thin air). I spent hours in chat rooms shrieking at anyone who dared to question the glory of Everclear. I knew every single lyric by heart (including the B-sides and unreleased tracks). I even had an impressive collection of live recordings (about half on cassette). I cannot express how much I loved this band.
Just a warning: there's a lot of them on this list. 

16. Girl All The Bad Guys Want - Bowling For Soup
This is a fun song by a fun band that absolutely does not take itself seriously, and I refuse to feel guilty for liking them. Especially when compared to some of the other things hiding out on this list… waiting.

17. Lying Is The Most Fun a Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off - Panic! At The Disco
An early entry for 'Longest Song Title In Elle's Entire Music Library.'

18. Chemical Wedding - Bruce Dickinson [DELETED]
I like Iron Maiden, but Dickinson's solo stuff doesn't do it for me. Or at least this one doesn't. I think this was on a fanmix for 'Hannibal.' 

19. You Spin Me Right Round Baby - Adam Sandler
Remember when Adam Sandler made funny movies? I do; oh, I do. And this was a great soundtrack to an utterly adorable movie. Plus it had Billy Idol, and you just can't go wrong with Billy Idol. 

20. My Standard Break From Life - Alkaline Trio
I was going to hold off on shouting about Alkaline Trio until a little later, but since my iPod opted to play two songs by this band in one sitting, I'll make a brief note now: I love this band. I have loved them since I was an impressionable young scamp, and I continue to love them.

22. Where Is My Mind? - The Pixies
You know, I can't even say if I love this song or not. It's such an integral part of my high school experience (although not as much as the Breeders), that nostalgia could play a large part in my continued affection. Plus the final scene in Fight Club; that was pretty epic.

23. Dirty Blvd. - Lou Reed
I don't indiscriminately like every single song Lou Reed ever did (some are actually complete unlistenable, and anyone who says otherwise is lying to impress you), but this song is beautiful and lovely. Lou Reed was a singular human being. 

No comments:

Post a Comment