Friday, June 26, 2015

Me Against The Music: Tracks 37-60

For reasons of her own, Elle has decided to listen to every single song in her music library and record the experience. These are her notes. 

Tracks 37-60
40. Handel: Water Music - Presto - Richard Edlinger: Capella Istropolitana
It's really, really hard to be sad when listening to this. Believe me, I've tried.



41. When All Is Said And Done - David Cross
David Cross is obscene and funny, and just makes me happy. The problem with listening to comedy routines in your car is that sometimes people catch your eye at a stoplight, and you are cackling like a crazy person and it is just awkward all around.

42. Reclamation - Fugazi
I love Fugazi, but I never liked Minor Threat. I tried so hard, if only because Minor Threat is so musically significant to so many bands I love. But I always was more into the harsh melodies of Fugazi.
Fun Fact: I somehow found the only mass-produced Fugazi shirt, ever. At least I have never found another or heard of another. I have no idea where I got it, or how it came to be. Fugazi doesn't HAVE merchandise. My shirt is an anomaly.

44. 10,000 Days (Wings, Part 2) - Tool [DELETED]
Tool is a phenomenal band to see live, and Maynard James Keenan is extremely talented. That being said, I ultimately think that I respect Tool more than I actually enjoy them. 

46. I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night - Wayne County & The Electric Chairs
Oh, Wayne County, I love you so much. This is one of the many bands I learned about thanks to the essential book on punk rock, Please Kill Me. This song is by turns sad and funny, and makes me nostalgic for something I never experienced. 

48. (You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care - Buddy Holly
I don't understand people who don't like Buddy Holly. Are there such people? Are you afraid to be happy? Do you not like toe-tapping fun? I understand your counter argument, but have you seen Buddy Holly's glasses? I rest my case.

49. Jigsaw Falling Into Place - Radiohead
I am always amazed by how much Radiohead I have in my music library. I have this theory that the tracks breed when I'm not looking.

50. There's Only One - Graham Nash
My father is a huge music fan, and growing up I listened almost exclusively to hippie music and jam bands, since that was his taste at the time. As a rebellious teenager I rejected most of these groups (although rebelling against hippie music is sort of strange in and of itself), prefering punk and grunge instead. But I never stopped loving the members of Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young, or their respective solo works.

51. Lust At The Abbey - Dario Marianelli (V For Vendetta)
In college I was pretty fixated on V For Vendetta. I adored the movie (ridiculous plot holes and all), and made my friends watch it a lot. Like, a lot. Especially on the Fifth of November. As far as movies based on Alan Moore's work goes, this is probably the least offensive. If only because Hugo Weaving is remarkable as V.

56. Outsmarted - The Hives
The Hives always cheer me up. They were just having so much fun, and you could tell in their music. They love punk rock, they're going to make punk rock, and they are going to share their punk rock with you. What happened to them? Are they all right? Now I'm concerned.

57. Stripper - Soho Dolls
If I am ever in a spy movie as a deadly assassin (or SHIELD finally returns my calls and hires me as an agent), and at some point I have to go undercover at a glamorous and decadent party to stop the bad guy, I want this song to be my entrance music as I step into the room, dressed to kill and with a plethora of readily available weapons readu to tkae down the villains without missing a beat. Not that I've thought about this.

58. October Grey - Screaming Jets
I have absolutely no idea where the hell this song came from or how it ended up in my music library, but I truly enjoy it. So thank you, mystery song, for making my day a little bit better. 

59. Go - The Replacements
I love the Replacements so much. So. Much. Sad and funny and wry and so smart, yet wistful. There aren't enough words to express how much I love this band. I want to put on a pair of ripped jeans and my combat boots and some red lipstick and move to Seattle to contemplate life.

60. Suckerpunch - Butch Walker and the Black Widows

Such a fun song, especially life. You want to rock out and pump up your mood in a hurry? Turn on this tune. Would also be appropriate for a fight involving sucker-punches. 

No comments:

Post a Comment