Monday, June 22, 2015

Me Against The Music: Tracks 24-36

For reasons of her own, Elle has decided to listen to every single song in her music library and record the experience. These are her notes. 

Tracks 24-36

24. Antrozous - Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard 
Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight trilogy has a soundtrack that ranks as one of my all-time favorites. It's great to work out to, great to drive to, and great to save Gotham to. Also great to attempt to destroy Gotham to. What? I'm just saying. You know the Joker was blasting this as he went around causing mayhem. 
It also eternally delights me that the track names are the Latin names for different species of bats. It further delights me that tracks 4 through 9 form an acrostic that actually spells 'Batman.' That is an attention to detail you can't overlook.



25. She's Bringing You Down - The Vibrators
Confession: I only bought my first Vibrators album because Kurt Cobain mentioned them in an interview, and as far as I was concerned he was the beginning and end of musical wisdom. Luckily I genuinely enjoy them. This didn't always prove true. 
Further confession: I was so young when I bought my first Vibrator's album that I only had a murky notion as to why the name was so controversial. Those were simpler times, my friends. I think I bought it at a Record Town, along with an Against Me! CD.

26. Times Like These - Foo Fighters
Did you hear that Dave Grohl broke his leg onstage while performing, then continued to play the rest of the concert with a broken leg? That is because he is a goddamn rockstar in the best and truest sense of the word, and we as a species do not deserve him. I have a lot of feelings about Dave Grohl. I would buy this man a beer. 

27. Theme - Rites Of Spring
My courtship ritual in middle school and high school was fairly uncomplicated:
  • Develop crush on boy. 
  • Determine said object of affection's favorite band.
  • Become expert on favorite band.
  • Be caught listening to a song by the band or carrying a piece of band merchandise, super casually.
  • ?????
  • Eternal love and happiness and super-cool boyfriend.
I can confess that this worked 0% of the time. If I didn't like the band I couldn't fake the enthusiasm, and if I did like the band I ended up resenting the guy for having to prove my devotion. I have no idea why I thought this would work, or why I thought basing an entire relationship over a mutual band love was a smart move. 
On the upside, many an ill-conceived crush died on the vine because the favorite band was terrible, and I couldn't in good conscience date someone who had such hideous taste. Rites of Spring remains one of the few bands from this activity that I ended up actually enjoying, and continue to enjoy to this day. 

29. King Of The Road - R.E.M. [DELETED]
I love this song. I like R.E.M. I really, really don't enjoy this cover at all. 

30. She Likes Hair Bands (Live) - Butch Walker
If you have not heard of Butch Walker, your life is less than it could be. I am not kidding. Butch Walker is a genius. His music is consistently wonderful, he is a phenomenal performer, and I do not have enough words to express how much his songs have meant to me. 

32. Skank Bloc Bologna - Scritti Politti [DELETED]
Despite the inarguably fantastic name of this song, it just doesn't make the cut.

34. I'm Waiting For The Day - Beach Boys
It is incredibly difficult to remain in a bad mood while listening to the Beach Boys. I know. I've tried. This group always makes me wish I was driving down the California coast in a convertible. One time I actually got to do this while listening to the Beach Boys, and it remains a singular experience I will absolutely never forget.

35. Loaded - Hole
I'm not quite ready to go into my feelings about Hole and Courtney Love. In brief: I imagined myself a shorter version of Ms. Love. I really, really wasn't.

36. Emotional Rescue - The Rolling Stones
When the Rolling Stones were having their final tour before retiring (this was about four or five tours ago,), I begged my dad to buy us tickets. He told me I could either go to this ridiculously expensive, monstrously overpriced concert which was being shown on HBO -- a huge deal at the time), or I could go to college, but he wasn't paying for both. My mother quickly vetoed my decision. Hint: my choice featured way more Mick Jagger than degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment